- Reporting to: HCSE Director
- Location: BUA Cement Plc (Sokoto)
- Internally Relates With: Administration & Corporate Service Department.
- External Relationship: Consultants, Technical Specialists
- The successful applicant will be responsible for managing and overseeing the social development aspects of BUA’s Sokoto Plant operations. This will include, but not be limited to; stakeholder engagement and interaction, oversight and management of community development initiatives, management and monitoring of resettlement activities, livelihood monitoring, community health and safety, and grievance management.
- The social performance specialist will report directly to BUAs Health, Safety, Environment and Community (HSEC) Director to ensure a consistent and considered management approach is implemented across the environmental, health, safety, and community areas.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work closely with the existing Corporate Services department to implement a robust and inclusive stakeholder engagement approach incorporating key stakeholders such as national, state, and local government, religious and community leaders, and local communities.
- Develop and implement an informed approach to community and local development projects through the adoption of a Community Development Plan (CDP).
- Support the HSEC director in the development, implementation, and reporting on lender E&S requirements and deliverables
- Assume responsibility and oversight of BUAs resettlement activities, including stakeholder engagement, development of Resettlement Action Plans (RAP), monitoring, and evaluation.
- Support the Corporate Services department in the management of the community grievance management mechanism, including reviewing received grievances, identifying trends and systemic issues, and ensuring timely feedback and resolution.
- Play a key role in developing, implementing, and enhancing BUAs social development strategy, through advising the HSEC director, engaging stakeholders and supporting colleagues.
- Ensure community health and safety concerns and impacts are adequately identified, assessed, and mitigated.
- Supervise the work of consultants and technical specialists to ensure consistency and conformity to both BUA policies and good international industry practice.
- Provide oversight of BUA Cement (Sokoto) security management approach and ensure adoption and adherence to good international industry practice.
- Postgraduate degree in a social science related field or similar (sociology, anthropology, international relations, political science, development studies).
- 12+ years’ experience in a socio-economic / development role.
- Demonstrated skills and direct work experience with at least one or more of the following: community development, public consultations; resettlement; monitoring and evaluation; grievance redress mechanisms
- Proven knowledge and experience of good international industry practice, including IFC Performance Standards and EHS Guidelines.
- Ability and proven experience to manage large scale resettlement projects in accordance with the requirements of IFC Performance Standard 5 224000521" crossorigin="anonymous"> .
- Ability to develop and maintain a positive dialogue with key stakeholders, including local communities, government, and lenders.
- Experience working with the Government of Nigeria including in-depth knowledge of country systems. Experience working in Sokoto state a plus.
- Strong oral and written presentation skills, creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English and Hausa
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates Should forward their updated CV to firstname.lastname@example.org using the job title as subject of mail.