- Reporting to: HCSE Director
- Location: BUA Cement Plc (Sokoto)
- Internally Relates With: OH&S Engineer, OH&S Officer, Plant Fire Engineer
- Externally Relates With: Government Agencies, Regulatory Bodies & Safety Consultants
The successful applicant will be responsible for leading and administering the plant’s OHS program designed to promote a positive health and safety culture and achieve prevention and/or elimination of industrial injuries or illnesses or losses from process equipment or property damage, and promotes plant operation in accordance with national OHS laws and regulations and good international industry practices.
The OHS or H&S Manager will report directly to BUA’s Health, Safety, Environment and Community (HSEC) Director to ensure a consistent and considered management approach is implemented across the environmental, health, safety, and community areas.
Work in close collaboration with other peers such as plant and maintenance manager, logistic manager etc.
The role will be based in Sokoto, however, close alignment, engagement and coordination with the HSEC Director, based in Lagos, will be required.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Functional OHS management and supervision of BUA facilities (e.g., cement lines, quarries, staging areas, logistics yards, corporate and site offices, maintenance yards, and other operating sites as may be designated by the HSEC Director.
- Leads, Manages and provides guidance to the site OHS teams
- Undertakes in-house site audits and inspections to identify and eliminate at-risk conditions and practices and to maintain all required records regarding OHS inspection and audit activities.
- Perform investigation of occupational incidents, illnesses, and equipment and property damage and as needed, conduct root-cause incident investigations using appropriate root cause analysis methodologies and to generate lessons learned bulletins.
- Coordinate effective hazard identification and risk assessment activities including the use of appropriate risk assessment techniques (What-if, HAZID, HAZOP, QRA, LOPA, etc) to ensure that each operational activity/ task has a suitable and sufficient risk assessment completed.
- Leads and Coordinates Behavioural and Process Safety.
- Facilitates and supports the implementation and maintainance of ISO 14001 and ISO 45 224000521" crossorigin="anonymous"> 001 certifications
- Leads and coordinates with BUA Transport department on Road Safety including but not limited to: Driver Training (defensive driving) and Competency, Drug and Alcohol Testing, Route Risk Assessments, use of in vehicle monitoring systems (IVMS), Geo-fencing, use of speed governors, no night driving policies, disciplinary procedures for safety violations, etc.
- In coordination with corporate HSEC Director, serves as the liaison between the plant and HSSE regulatory agencies.
- Assist corporate HSEC Director and Human Resources in the development and administration of OHS training and awareness programs as appropriate.
- Collaborate with site manager(s) and supervisors to develop plant-level OHS procedures for their work areas and assist in ensuring that they are consistently followed.
- Coordinates fire protection program including inspection and maintenance of fire protection systems across all sites.
- Provide recommendations for the purchase of specialised safety equipment including general personal protective equipment, emergency response equipment and first-aid supplies.
- Establishes and oversees the activities of OHS site Committee meetings at the plant and provides recommendations to the HSEC Director and senior management, as needed.
- Coordinate safety stand-down meetings across all sites in liaison with plant-level managers and supervisors.
- Assist plant managers and supervisors in performance of weekly tailgate safety meetings, providing guidance on OHS topics.
- Coordinate implementation of Safety Training Observation Program (STOP) at the plant and provides monthly updates to plant management including providing mentored observations with trained observers.
- Coordinate internal/external industrial hygiene testing including noise, light and dust surveys as needed and provides improvement recommendations to site managers
- Maintains close liaison with the Environmental Manager and the Social Risk and Development Manager to coordinate activities of the site based HSEC Teams.
- Maintains all proper records regarding plant injuries, illnesses, and property and equipment damage
- Ensures plant responsiveness to credible emergencies ranging in severity from minor first-aid to life-threatening emergency procedures.
- Leads and coordinates administration of regulated health and safety trainings such as occupational first-aid and CPR training for plant employees on a regular basis.
- Leads and coordinates with plant managers and supervisor effective implementation of Life Saving Rules and to ensure adherence by employees, contractors, vendors and visitors.
- Leads and coordinates emergency response including necessary equipment, training of personnel and undertaking regular emergency response drills.
- Support the HSEC director in the development, implementation, and reporting on lender E&S requirements and deliverables.
- Support the HSEC director in ensuring community health and safety concerns and impacts are adequately identified, assessed, and mitigated. This will include working closely with environmental and technical colleagues and external resources to ensure adequate mitigation is identified and implemented.
- Supervise the work of consultants and technical specialists to ensure consistency and conformity to both BUA policies and good international industry practice.
- Bachelor’s Degree in industrial safety, chemical engineering, OHS management, or related field.
- NEBOSH international general certificate in OHS or similar is a mandatory qualification
- 15 years of experience in the HSSE field in cement, mining, O&G or related industry.
- Proven experience and knowledge of identification and control measures of operational risks/hazards and process safety in operational sites.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience on the development and roll-out of OHS management systems in accordance with recognized international standards.
- Proven ability to motivate and influence leadership and frontline staff in the delivery of good Health and Safety performance and the creation of a company Health and Safety Culture.
- Able to manage OHS activities in multiple locations with minimal supervision, splitting time between office & field environments
- Adaptable in fast changing environments and able to deliver results through a pragmatic and positive approach.
- Thorough knowledge of HSSE regulatory standards and good international industry practices
- Able to work in a multi-disciplinary team
- Proven knowledge and experience of good international industry practice, including IFC Performance Standards and EHS Guidelines.
- Ability to develop and maintain a positive dialogue with key stakeholders, including local communities, government, and lenders.
- Experience working with the Government of Nigeria including in-depth knowledge of country systems. Experience working in Sokoto state a plus.
- Strong oral and written presentation skills, creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English and Hausa
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates Should forward their updated CV to email@example.com using the job title as subject of mail.